While it is obvious that inhalation of mold can lead to sinusitis, the location and sensitivity of our smelling system provide direct access to our blood stream and brain causing systemic disease that oftentimes not considered or even recognized by traditional medical practice. Yes, mold spores can enter through our noses to our sinuses. There they can find moisture and food to reproduce or colonize, causing a fungal or bacterial infection (Sinusitis). In some cases, mycotoxins, secondary metabolites of some molds, can also reach the brain. If the fungus is not removed and the sinuses are not cleaned regularly, susceptible people can then develop chronic sinusitis (>12 weeks or multiple times per year), a troubling disease state that affects up to 50 million people in the US alone.
Finding a mould source can be difficult at times. Often there is only a musty smell (or as some people call it a mouldy smell) within a property. The source may be hidden behind building materials or in walls, ceilings or even underneath the property, in a crawl space.